Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Dealing with Scraps Part 1/ Atlantic Hearts Sketch 382

If you are anything like me you are obsessed with patterned paper and want to hoard every scrap. I have done several posts about this before, but I definitely need to get more serious about practicing what I preach. So here are some things to consider before you pull out a new pack. 

1) Start with a "fresh desk". Do a quick stock of what is on your desk, and does it need to be there? For me this is a huge challenge, but I also know "out of sight, out of mind", so I am adjusting my scrap system into 3 piles. 
  • Pile 1: Anything bigger than 6" by 8" goes back in the envelope with the rest of the patterned paper it coordinates with to be used on another project

  • Pile 2: Card stock pieces that are midsize stay on my desk in the paper tray where I can see what it is, and use it up. I like to pull out patterned paper from this and challenge myself to create something with it. It is a great jumping off point.

  • Pile 3: I have a small bin of paper that is big enough to die cut, create a small mat or stamp on, small mats or just add some interest. This bin should be regularly emptied (I will may some suggestions of simple ways to use things below, there are also a lot of amazing videos on Youtube)
2) Use it before you lose it!: I am notorious for creating one project out of a paper pack, then leaving it full of coordinating scraps, so lately I have been challenging myself to use an entire pack before I move on to something new. It takes some time, and if you have been following my Instagram you will see that almost everything I have posted lately has been from Summer Vibes. You will see some projects below of me trying to not have much left on my desk and there will be several more coming.

3) Sketches can help: So in a stroke of fortune, I was working on some "sunburst" designs to use up some 2" by 3" bits and got the notification for Atlantic Hearts Sketch 382 Challenge. There are many sketches available online as well as lots of card ideas in "Make it From Your Heart" Idea books. Cards using up far less paper than layouts, so you can usually get at least 3 double page layouts plus a good number of cards from a CTMH paper pack+ Coordinating cardstock, you just have to be creative. The other thing you may want to search for are "One Page Wonder" Card designs with cutting diagrams.


Some ways I use up smaller scraps: 


  1. Triangle mosaics (these are all sunburst, but it doesn't have to be). These happen to be my submission for AHS 382 and the only one of these I have a decent image for.

  2. Mosaic style backgrounds from die cut scraps. 

    1. Try to stick with geometric shapes that you can piece together well
    2. Can do for cards OR layouts, depending on volume


  3. Add some texture to change things up, and then die cut 


  4. Piece scraps together on a base, and die cut those. 

I will do more posts of cards made as I clean up piles, but for now I would love to hear how you all use up scraps! What are your favorite ways? Thanks for stopping by, and happy crafting.




3 comments:

Dena J said...

Ah! Hoarding scraps of those pretties is a crafter's disease. :-) Appreciate your excellent tips, and love the way you used our sketch at Atlantic Hearts this week. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie Hungerford said...

Great cards, love the colors. Yes, parting with scraps can be very hard, your ideas and samples are encouraging! Thank you for sharing with us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.
Melanie

Brandi said...

Wow, those are all fabulous! I love them! Thanks for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (AHSC).

Brandi R.
DT member AHSC
crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca